Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Crazy Crap Item #245: The part where James ensures his own survival

Halloween is less than a month away and, as such, I spent a lovely Sunday afternoon decorating. I've yet to document this year's splendor, but it's very similar to last year's, which can be seen here.

As always, I was assisted by many small "helpers," who offered up useful suggestions, sage opinions, and dubious hand-eye coordination, all in support of my efforts.

Young James Casey, newly turned 5, was particularly assiduous in offers of "help," viewing my decorating activities as an opportunity to slip into my house, harass Eamon (who was ailing on the couch), bang on our keyboard, and otherwise explore. So bold he was, in fact, that as I was rooting in the basement at one point, I heard tiny footfalls on the floor above me. I was, as a result, not surprised when he appeared, cautiously working his way down our rather rickety and cobweb-festooned basement stairs.

James: Watcha doing?

Kay: Talking to Pumpkinhead.

For those unaware, Pumpkinhead is a legend in a neighborhood, a figure of mystery and terror. He made his debut some years ago, on Halloween. Appearing at first as a large pumpkin perched upon a festive holiday display, he would leap up when approached and menace costumed passers-by, to terrifying effect.

Pumpkinhead's first arrival inspired nothing but terror on the block. But soon, cooler heads prevailed. Around age 5, the smaller denizens of Norwood begin to suspect that Pumpkinhead is indeed Eamon. But they aren't quite sure yet, and there's too much at stake to assume he does not, indeed, exist.

On one occasion, James' brother Jack discovered the pumpkinhead itself in my basement, and loudly announced, "See! Pumpkinhead is Eamon!" To which I replied, "...Or, Eamon defeated Pumpkinhead, captured him, and trapped him down here to keep you all safe." This gave Jack much food for thought, and he soon began proposing the rules by which Pumpkinhead operates. To wit:

"If you say Pumpkinhead's name while in Kay's basement, he will come to life and chase you."

Now, at age 8, Jack seems pretty assured that Pumpkinhead is but a costume. James, however, is not so sure. Which brings us back to last Sunday.

James: What are you talking about with Pumpkinhead?

Kay: I'm asking him which child he intends to grab on Halloween.

James (decidedly): He should grab Sam.

Kay: No, he wants a smaller child.

James: Well, if Miles and Nolan come to our block, he should grab Nolan.

Kay: He says he wants someone a little bigger.

James: Then he should grab Miles.

Kay: No, he wants someone with lighter hair.

[James begins to nervously stroke his blond forelock.]

James: He should grab Jack.

Kay: I think he wants someone a little smaller.

[Pause.]

James: Are you giving me clues?

Kay: Yes.

James: I want to decide. Tell him to grab Sam.

James may not know if Pumpkinhead is real, but he surely knows how to save his own bacon.

No comments: