Monday, August 27, 2007

Crazy Crap Item #131: The part where I am warned

Last Tuesday, I left for a long sojourn in Banning, California, home to my parents. My dad is receiving a long-awaited and much anticipated hip replacement, which promises to relieve some considerable pain he's experienced for far too long. I'm on deck to assist with groceries, light errands, transportation of the mother to and from visiting hours, and other duties as needed.

I apprised Jack of my impending departure, and he was scandalized.

"Really? Where?"

I vaguely explained California and hip replacements.

"I'll be gone two weeks."

Two weeks, of course, means nothing to a five-year-old. He's currently certain we're smack in the middle of June, and Halloween is sometime next week. When I tried to explain exactly how long two weeks was, he looked stricken and vaguely confused.

Upon the day of my departure, I arose early, and was out the door by 7:30 so as to make my 9am flight. As such, I was not able to give my final farewell to young Jack.

Later in the week, Eamon discovered a message left on our voice mail from young Jack. Later investigation revealed that he had wished to say farewell, and so his mother put him on the line. The message followed thusly:

"Bye, Kay. Um. You know, you should know that there's a real, alive werewolf in your basement. So BEWARE."

I am warned.

No comments: