Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Crazy Crap Item #220: The part where I gather more lore of the famed O'Malley house

I have spoke oft and anon of the fabulous house I live in, located, as it is, on the best block in the universe: 1500 Norwood. We have, for example, many fantastic block parties. Neighbors organize "meal trains" when anyone is sick or has a baby. We gather for impromptu parties, gather for cookie parties, have backyard camp-outs, and watched the election of Obama in a huge 2-yard viewing extravaganza.

I can't help to think part of the fabulousness of this little community comes from the years of fabulous people who have gone before us, imprinting a path of fun that's as deep in the road as the potholes in our street that never seem to get fixed.

Today, I got yet another glimpse into that long legacy. My neighbor Florence recently had hip replacement surgery. Tonight was my night to bring over dinner. When I called to drop off lasagna, I had the chance to chat with her daughter, who is in town to help care for her during her recuperation.

"You're in the O'Malley house," she said. "I grew up there."

I looked puzzled, as she was clearly not an O'Malley, and she explained that she played there all the time.

"We used to have spitting contests off the back balcony," she revealed.

I also learned:

-- the funky room in the basement, with its shelves and paneling, was once, as I have always suspected, a Greg Brady-style oldest son's bedroom.

-- the dining room was formerly used as a den, with TV perched on the built-in breakfront.

--the dining room also housed a keyboard that was NOT TO BE TOUCHED, as it belong to an O'Malley uncle who played organ at Wrigley Field.

I revel in all these legacies, and look forward to the day when I, too, can host spitting contests off the back balcony.

No comments: