Thursday, May 14, 2009

Crazy Crap Item #232: The part where I add an addendum

This is a follow-up to the story about the Caseys' very bad day. So if you haven't read that, read it first.

One thing I forgot to record in my account of the day of drama and trauma on Norwood is the actual cause of James' trip to the ER.

I first learned of it when Sam joined Jack and me to await the outcome. Jack was concerned it was his fault. I asked what happened, and he said it was his fault because he was the one who had told James to jump from one bed to the other -- the incident which resulted in the noggin-cracking.

"Accidents happen," I told Jack, who I felt didn't need a "Didn't-your-mother-always-tell-you-not-to-jump-on-the-beds?" lecture at that precise moment. Plus, it seemed like a pretty self-evident lesson.

Today, to help bolster recovery of both James and the entire Casey clan, I whipped up one of my now-world-renowned batches of brownies. When I delivered said treat, James' uncle was visiting, and asked James, "Whose fault was it that you hurt your head?"

Without missing a beat: "The bed's."

I've said it before, I'll say it again: I like the way that kid thinks.

No comments: