Saturday, December 22, 2007

Crazy Crap Item #148: The part where Piatt cracks wise

My good friend, Mr. Christopher Piatt, was kind of enough to take me as his "plus one" to a sneak preview of the movie Sweeney Todd. The game plan was that he was to arrive at the Thorndale El stop at 5:45. I would pick him up and we would fly, on wings of doves, up to Evanston for the screening.

So I was caught unawares when the doorbell rang at 5:30 and I was in the midst of household chores. I didn't answer, as we live in prime territory for door-to-door sorts who in this instance would no doubt throw my last-minute schedule into chaos. "If it's Piattarriving early,arriving early," I thought, "he will ring again, and only then will I run downstairs."

At the sounding of the bell a second time, I flew downstairs, and found him perched on my doorstep in the midst of calling me on is cell phone. I ushered him in. He explained he'd gotten done early, and decided to head on over. I explained the delay in my door-answering, and my current immersion in last-minute housewifely duties.

"I was changing the sheets on the beds," said I.

"Oh, I've seen that before," he replied, "on Nick at Nite."

And ... scene.

No comments: