Saturday, December 22, 2007

Crazy Crap Item #151: The part where I start a new holiday tradition

During the long, cold winters, I see very little of my small neighbors. Which is too bad, because they are remarkably entertaining.

So, I thought recently, how could I entice the teenies to my very doorstep? Perhaps, I thought, a sort of small shindig. A holiday gathering, in which we decorate sugar cookies. Thus it was that Cookie Party was born.

This past Friday saw the First Annual Cookie Party. To prep, I cleaned the house, made a messload of sugar cookies in fanciful holiday shapes, then bought an obscene amount of white frosting, tubes of colored gel frosting, and many wee jars of sprinkles, jimmies, decorating candies and the like.

The wee folk, with moms, began arriving around 3pm. Here are some highlights:

* Emmett succeeding in hiding his frosted cookie in a huge pile of sprinkles.

* Calvin rapidly producing a massive number of artfully decorated, neatly executed cookies, using only colored gel.

* Jack repeatedly discovering that the little red hot candies are REALLY HOT, eating some more to confirm, then scaring the bejeezus out of Ruth and myself by seeming to choke.

* Opening the front door to discover James, who shouts "PRESENT" and thrusts a wrapped package into my hands.

* A brief respite watching videos and lounging on our lush couches.

* Fiona performing a leaping, skipping dance for me, and announcing that she is not a ballerina, but a princess ballerina.

* Looking upward to find some strange lumps stuck to my livingroom ceiling, and realizing from this that small boys had found my dish of "spaghetti and eyeballs" (a leftover from Halloween), pried out the eyeballs, and launched them thitherward. It was the only act of desecration in the household, so I guess I got of lightly.

To sample more of Cookie Party, check out these terribly blurry photos.

No comments: