Monday, January 26, 2009

Crazy Crap Item #212: The part where I make a totally predictable discovery

Still in lovely Banning, Ca., that bastion of the 55-and-older set, and enjoying the quirks of a community that has molded its offerings entirely around the needs of those in the autumn of their years.

At a recent trip to the grocery store, I thought to myself that since I'm here for the semi-long haul, I'll purchase some foods that suit my discriminating palate and fit well with my beleagured jaw. Hummus, I thought. That delicious puree of the chickpea, so favored by those of the Middle East. Surely, this most cosmopolitan of communities would offer such a delicacy.

No such luck. Ranch dressing they had. Salsa by the tub. Spinach dip. But hummus, no siree bob.

Not such a surprising revelation, but an unfortunate oversight. I think hummus and dentures would be a natural pairing.

No comments: