Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Crazy Crap Item #28: The part where I weep for Broadway

Phantom of the Opera just surpassed Cats as the longest-running Broadway show ever.

Sigh.

That said, the show has provided a mass of wealth for my friend and one-time castmate, Jim Weitzer, who made a mint playing Raoul in the Broadway and touring companies.

And, of course, that Andrew Lloyd Webber masterpiece inspired my good friends Nicole Hudson and Michael Shattner to create my all-time favorite bowlderized ditty, by rewriting the title song as an anthem for a new musical version of Oediupus Rex:

"I killed my father;
Slept with my mom.
Now what a bother
My life's become.
The curse upon me
Will have no end.

I'm OEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-DIPUS THE KING
I have no eyes,
I gouged them out."

1 comment:

Nicole said...

oh good gracious. i'd forgotten all about that. those were definitely the days.