Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Crazy Crap Item #18: The part where I find out how Ebert feels

You know how when you see a clip of a review on an ad for a movie, you always try to fill in the blanks of the real review -- assuming, of course, that the movie producers have excerpted comments that sound complimentary, but were actually part of a pretty severe slam?

Well, much to my amusement, I recently learned that a review of mine has been used in just that way.

I was Googling my name in search of an article of mine that was posted online, and ran across a website for a theater company I had reviewed earlier this year. Friends, it was not pretty. A heinous, heinous show that still ranks in my top 5 of worst shows I've reviewed.

According to the theater's website, here's what I said:

"...finely tuned, perfectly timed ensemble" -Kay Daly TimeOut Chicago

Now, here's the context of that clip:

But it takes finely tuned, perfectly timed ensemble playing to bring together these disparate strands, and oddly, that is precisely what this improv comedy troupe fails to achieve. Instead, director Hall and his cast give free reign to random associations and sensory overload, sacrificing focus in a frantic quest to top each moment and each other.

I feel so used.

No comments: