Saturday, February 11, 2006

Crazy Crap Item #35: The part where I begin to track the insanity at Turino

First off, can I say that I only recently that "Torino" and that place with the shroud were the same. So I'm not so bright.

But I am an avid figure skating fan, so of course, I'm on board for any Olympic figure skating mayhem they can bring my way. And naturally, the best part of Olympic figure skating is the utterly absurd commentary. I mean, even during the quasi-sanity of a non-Olympic year, figure skating commentary is fairly absurd. But you light that torch, and suddenly everyone behind a microphone goes entirely INSANE.

To whit, I sit here watching the short program for pairs skating, and Inoue and Baldwin make Olympic history with the first ever throw triple axel. Good for them, I say. But apparently, 'good for them' is not nearly colorful enough for color commentary.

"That was delicious," utters the aptly named Dick Button.

"That throw was like butter," quips Sandra Bezic.

Lordy.

No comments: