Friday, March 03, 2006

Crazy Crap Item #46: The part where I poll the readership about their dream life

OK, I've asked friends and family informally, but I feel like I want to get this on record. I have a kind of recurring dream. It's actually not really a recurring dream, per se, as much as a recurring dream motif. In it, I will be in some residence -- sometimes it's been an apartment I'm currently living in; other times, my childhood home; still other times, it's a completely imagined space that in my dream is my "home." My dream will be chugging along, when suddenly, someone will ask why I'm not using that other room. Or why we (my roommates and I) are only living in the small space we're living in, when the rest of the apartment is so nice.

At that point, I will notice a door I don't remember seeing before, and I'll open it, and -- voila! -- there it is: The rest of my living space. And it's usually pretty palatial. And well-appointed. And I'll smite my dream brow, and say/think, well, my goodness! I had no idea this was here! I could've been using this space all this time.

And then I wake up, with a lovely sense of excitement and optimism. I've come to refer to this motif as my "unfulfilled potential" dream, and after having it, I always wonder, "What potential am I not exploiting in my life?"

Anyone else had this dream?

No comments: