Monday, June 26, 2006

Crazy Crap Item #87: The part where Sailor Jack lives large and likes it

Last weekend, Eamon and I have the pleasure of attending my brother Mike's wedding. It was a splendiferous time, what with bliss-filled ceremony, the opportunity to see friends I haven't seen in years, the rocking reception with a gorgeous view of Long Beach Bay and the Queen Mary ...

... And yet, today, I'm writing not about the wedding, but how we got there. My brother, you see, arranged for a stretch limo to transport my parents and my Aunt Sheila and Uncle Frank from beautiful Banning (just outside Palm Springs) to the Long Beach Hilton. Eamon and I had arranged to fly into Banning's nearest airport, so we hitched a ride with them.

Of the limo, my father was suspicious. But as we traveled on, he began to see its plusses. To whit, a bar stocked with liquor and mixers. Adjustable air conditioning. And a limo driver who will pull off the highway and find you a clean public restroom at the mere waving of a hand. And, for course, the no driving part.

"I always thought limos were snooty," quoth he. "But I think this could work for me."

No comments: