Thursday, June 29, 2006

Crazy Crap Item #89: The part where Jack shows off his new duds

Today, on my way to taking out the garbage, I noticed my berries had ripened.

No, that's not a euphemism for some sort of lady business. One of the greatest assets of our house is a teeming garden, complete with rambling raspberry vines lining our fence. Each June or so, they burst forth with berry-ful goodness. And this morning, I found I had quite a foison. My fists soon filled, so I ran to the kitchen for a bowl, and continued picking.

As I picked, I thought, "I shall share these berries with the Caseys." Jim Casey and I have often discussed the wonder of our berry bushes, and I've have oft and anon urged him and Ann to plunder them whenever they wished.

Just as I finished and before I could make my way to the Casey's back door, Jack stumbled out onto their back porch. Seeing me, he spun on his heels and dodged back indoors. He re-emerged with a new cowboy hat on his head and a coy but smug look on his face.

Me, I'd seen the hat the day before, and gotten its history from Ann. During a recent trip to Michigan for a wedding, they'd stopped at a western store, and this had been Jack's takeaway: a real, live cowboy hat, just like real, live cowboys wear. Jack apparently did not realize I'd seen it or him (he'd been deep in hijinx with the other kids on the block and had paid me no mind).

Sensitive lass that I am, I knew what he wanted, and I congratulated him on the splendor of his new hat unbidden.

We then talked of cowboy gear. He informed me he likes all the things cowboys wear. I asked of his trip to the cowboy gear store, and he made mention of lassos which he coveted but was not supplied with. I suggested that he was lucky to have parents who would furnish him with such a striking hat, and the sort that real cowboys wear to boot. I pointed out that now he had a hat, cowboy boots, and holsters, and that he was pretty much set.

He replied that he also had a barn (his garage) and a horse. When questioned, he could not recall the name of his horse. I was concerned, and asked what he would do if, in peril, he needed to call his horse to him. He had no response.

No comments: